August 16, 2007

While waiting. . .

I've been putting off updating because I'd like to do it with pictures. Unfortunately, I need Kyle's laptop to upload, and the man is a studying-machine- so I may not get the chance for a while.

Sullivan is walking all the time now. He wins the award for the slowest walker out of my kids. He was 14 months on the dot when he decided that walking upright was a worthy goal. He also wins the award for the fastest to reach the goal once it was set. He went from first efforts to fulltime walking in just a couple of days. Its adorable to watch and I feel sad when I see the novelty of it wearing off. I feel like I'll always watch him toddling around and just glow with pride - but I know soon enough it will be old news and we'll all move onto something else.

*HE* is already moving on to something else, as evidenced by his recent trick of dead-lifting his body onto the coffee table. I wouldn't call it "climbing" as there really isn't climbing involved until the last possible second. He spreads his arms over the top of the coffee table (narrow-width wise) and grips both sides (can we say monkey-arms?). He then arches his back while simultaneously pulling with his arms (Think of those guys that can grip a light-pole with their arms and then pull their body into a full horizontal position.) Just when I'm sure he's going to collapse from the effort, he'll bend his knee and clammer the rest of the way up and sit on his bum with the mose elated grin you can imagine.

I think walking really agrees with him. This little guy is happy for hours at a time - and if you knew his disposition prior to walking, you would know that's a big deal for me. He just wanders from room to room trying to see what the big kids are doing. He also chases me around the house asking to nurse - but he's definitely started to space that out a lot; something I never thought would happen.

The last few nights he has slept through the night. YIKES, can it be real??

Adeline and Guthrie are back into their good ol' Mexican habits: begging mom to go to the museum EVERY day, sometimes twice a day if I make the mistake of taking them too early and not staying long enough; watching every movie we own for short clips throughout the day; kicking and fighting; whining about being hungry just minutes after I clear the table; you know, the usual.

They start school on Wednesday, the 22nd. They can hardly contain their excitement - and while I'm better at holding back my glee and joy, I'm sure my own happiness outweighs theirs. I have a mile-long list of supplies to go buy them:

An Abacus - abacis - abawhatevertheheckitscalled. . .one of those counting things
A feather duster - why??
25 large black garbage bags - I'm pretty sure that we are supplying their janitors as I can't see any occasion for this in the course of their schooldays, and this would be 25 bags PER STUDENT.
your various and expected crayons, markers, pencils and pencil cases
etc., etc., etc. . .

I also have to go get them uniforms - which I was lucky enough to see a sample of. VERY mexican, homemade looking - but what do I care?? I'm just glad that Addie can't fight me everyday on what to wear. Blue skirt or pants, white shirt. . .or would you like *this* white shirt??

They both need school shoes, and heaven only knows where I'm going to get those. I'm *so* not good at shopping in Mexico and have done pretty well to avoid it over the last 2 years (other than groceries).

Anyway, with their preparations I'll be busy for the next few days.

Kyle will be taking his board exam on September 22nd, which means he'll be flying to Arizona and I'll be staying here with the kids for 3. . .WHOLE. . .DAYS. . .ALONE. Not sure how I feel about that. (although, if you caught the inflection I was intending with those ". . ." and the capital letters, then you can probably guess how I feel about that.) He's studying every spare minute of the day, but I've managed to salvage our Friday night date nights. This means that tomorrow night I get a dinner out. (thumbs up :)

Overall things are good. We had a decent time in Arizona. I loved seeing my family and spending time with them. Kyle and I didn't really do much together as he was studying that whole time. I got to spend 3 weeks with Ashley, whom I hadn't seen for a year. (another thumbs up.)

So there - I updated. Sooner (hopefully) or later I'll get pictures up, but in the meantime, I'll just enjoy all of yours. So go post them!!

2 comments:

The Sullengers said...

Hey Hanna - it is Cara Hart Sullenger now.. I saw your blog thru Megan's and wanted to say hi - it has been so long - I think since Junior high days! That is great that you are in med school - Kash starts Optometry school this fall and we are excited! Let me know how you are? You can come visit our blog or e-mail me at carasullenger@yahoo.com

Mimi said...

Thanks for the update! I had visual pictures in my head (including the "climbing". I hope your pictures match mine ;)