January 10, 2009

The Name Game

There is only 1 drawback to finding out this baby is a boy. I cannot for the life of me come up with a name that makes me happy. I had a mile-long list of girl names, which should have alerted me to the fact that this would be a boy. While we were in New York, Kyle and I picked up a book with 100,001 baby names. I have been through it multiple times, each time coming up with an entirely different list of potential names, and each time crossing them all off one by one.


There are so few boys' names outside of the traditional John's, William's and Michael's. (Not that those names aren't great. . .) I guess I am just looking for something different - something that will take hold of my heart and bring to mind pictures of the perfect little boy that is about to enter our lives.


I actually had this same struggle with Sullivan. For the most part I was set on naming him Lincoln. At the last minute I panicked and changed my mind, finally settling on Sullivan when I was a few days from delivery. I'm pretty sure most people hated it at first, but I like to think that our little Sully has the perfect name now. I did have a brief moment of panick when he was about 10 months old. Somewhere I found a little blurb alerting me to the fact that I had until 12 months of age to change my son's name without the hassle of a legal proceding. I came *this close* to changing his name to Lincoln - and only the tediousness of paperwork stopped me (and even that might not have stopped me if we had been in the states at the time - mailing from Mexcio is less than simple.)


I hate to even bring this up in conversations because it usually starts a cascade of name ideas flowing my way - and as much as I hate to have my favorite names criticized, I DREAD telling other people that their ideas aren't appealing to me.


I got a few emails with some decent name ideas - both included one name that is still rolling around my list from last time (can ya guess?? ;). The process made me wonder if maybe the ol' blog could help me out slightly. Will you guys give me some ideas? And promise not to be offended if I don't love them??


Come on - this bump needs a name!


(Self-portrait - explaining the lack of smile and bad lighting. Unfortunately it can't explain away the bed head and no makeup - work with me here.)

11 comments:

abby said...

oh man, i love this topic so much. and i really love your kids' names. i like this site:

http://nameberry.com/list/264/Hipster-Names

i am a huge fan of "hipster names" apparently, but you can jump to other lists at the bottom of the page.

paws said...

Clarence
Thad (Tad)
Christian
Morgan
Tristan
Richard
Neil
Lance
Charlie
Harrison
Cunningham

These are just off the top of my head, and I don't even like most of them...but you might!

Anonymous said...

my favorites...as of today I change my mind all the time...not that I will be EVER needing to name anymore babies.

Simon
Dean
Luke
Grant (of course)
Henry

Ashley said...

I still think you should name him Eric.

Myklind said...

Hey Hanna, First off how did I miss that you were even pregnant?! You look super cute. Boy names are so hard. Tyler and I may have to divorce if we ever have another boy because we can never agree. Some of my favorites are

Atley
Stetson
Shad
Cruz
Kooper
Dakoda
Peyton

I know they are kind of weird and you may hate them all, and that is fine it wont hurt my feelings at all!

crazyinguad said...

Westlyn
Asher Reed
Tristan Alexander
Avery Lane
River Blaise
Landon Brandt

:o)

lindie said...

Hey this is Lindie Hibbard (Warren) Kyle would remember me. I grew up in his stake and I am cousins with Jamie Sharp. I also used to cheat off of him in Government class (he knew) and I'm ashamed of myself.

Well, I have enjoyed looking at your blog. Your family is super adorable and I love all of the your kids names and I am really picky. I like different and unique ones. My girl's names are Rhegan and Andie which I got a lot of crap for naming a girl a boys name. I just like that sort of thing.

Finding a boys name that both of your agree on is near impossible!!!
I am really liking the name Brody right now, but whatever. My husband would be zero help in the boy naming. His middle name is Wayne and he thinks it would be really "cool" to name a son John Wayne. It's NEVER going to happen. Well, good luck!!!

The Sullengers said...

Hey,
We are having the same problem with our boy. We don't like popular names and are trying to find something different, I would give you a list, but they are all the ones I like. So good luck with your search for the perfect name!!!

Empy Nesters said...

like your mom I think his name should be Gordon:)

Jenn S. said...

Who needs a name when you look so hot preggo mama?

55 Days!? Really!

Melanie said...

You look freakin' awesome! I am no help on the names thing. I had a hard time naming my own kids. Once again I am so excited for you and you look amazing.