July 25, 2008

working hard or hardly working

I went to bed last night knowing that this morning I was on a tight schedule. I need to get some work done, but I also need to get the last our junk put away so the cleaning girl can come whip the rest of the place into shape (and help scrape off that final layer of dust that I have YET to clean from the endless vacay). Somehow I am finding myself perusing blogs rather than working, which I originally scheduled to be completely finished by noon. Its noon, and I have to stop now so I can clean. and I didn't work nearly enough. and now I'll have to work later. when I didn't want to. *sigh*

Last night Kyle was on one of his eternal phone calls to the cable company to complain about our internet being down. all. day. Suddenly his eyes get wide and he motions for me to come stand by him. I'm pretty confused, but I'm also very obedient. I walk up to him and he points for me to look in the corner. I am still not seeing what he is pointing at when he whispers, "Black widow." EWWWWWWWW! The most giantest, disgustingest, poisonest spider is just chilling butt-side up to show us his lovely red hourglass shape. Of course, I'm freaked and determined that we must kill it. Now. but not me. him. Of course, Kyle just keeps on keepin' on with the cable company. It was my self-appointed job to sit there and stare at the spider to make sure that it didn't plan a stealthy escape and crawl immediately up the stairs where it would ravage my three innocent children - or me - gag. For some reason, I wasn't worried about it biting Kyle. I guess he's just the big, strong, invincible man in our lives. Or it would serve him right.

Finally Kyle finished with the Tele-CRAP-le (Telecable) and whipped out his trusty can of raid, which coincidentally had just finished off a half-dollar-sized distant relative of this spider's yesterday and we proceeded to watch in some kind of sick pleasure as the spider died. Now I am adamant that the whole house needs sprayed but of course we can't do that because I have no way of knowing what the heck chemical they would be spraying and there's no way I'm letting a bug guy, in a country that still uses known carcinogens for pesticide on their crops, spray my entire house with invisible poison. (Yet, I have no problem using Raid for isolated incidents. go figure. risks and benefits, my friends).

Now that it is 12:04, I'm going to have to move on to phase II of this morning - operation clear clutter.

Thanks for being my time-suck, dear blog.

7 comments:

Serin said...

I just found a shiny black non-widow spider on my TOWEL when I went to take a shower!! And it was sitting on my BED with about 4 loads of clean laundry on it! I still have the heebie jeebies!

mallory said...

Glad to see that through the Black Widows, you're all still alive. PS... I would have LOST IT. Congratulations on the composure. :)
Love you. :)

mallory said...

PS... we tried going to the burton house! :) no one could remember how to get there... :)

Jenn S. said...

Thank goodness for big, strong daddies who do the dirty work right!?

i love your time-sucking blog too - what can I say, I'm a blog enabler! ;)

PS - Is Mimi's blog private now?

Kizzy said...

i hate black widows. why are they the scariest things ever? i would have done the same thing you did.

Ashley said...

Hey, would you send your cleaning girl to my house when she's done?

Tanya Leigh said...

Oh, I SO do not miss TeleCRAPle!! Not fun. We always had a ready supply of American Bug spray (Coy's 2nd calling in life is killing & keeping bugs away from the family - and he takes it seriously!) haha. If anyone is coming up soon, I could tell ya what to pick up for ya! :) In the meantime ... Eeek!