October 8, 2008

Good news and Bad news

I'm not giving up on Mexico (yet), but I do kind of feel like she's kicking me when I'm down.

I picked the kids up from school, spent 30 minutes waiting in gridlock traffic, received a call from Kyle inviting me to McDonald's to wait out the gridlock, and RUSHED at the chance to get us all out of the car.

We had a fun impromptu family lunch. When it looked like traffic was clearing up, we decided we better head out. Guthrie decided to ride with Kyle, so I buckled Adeline and Sullivan into my car. I put my seat belt on, put the keys in the ignition and glanced at the passenger seat. Hmmm. . .something seems different. What could it be???

OHHHHH, I remember. My purse was there - right underneath Guthrie's backpack. The empty seat was really confusing me, even though I knew right away what had happened. I tried to remember if I locked the car. YES, I am positive I locked it. I got out and looked at the outside of the passenger door. It looked perfect and my Expedition doesn't even have a lock on that side anyway. The only external locks are on the back door and the driver's side door. I checked the backdoor on my way around and it was perfect. As I walked up the driver's side, I could see the little black hole that used to be our keyhole. (Insert swear words).

Kyle was ticked - and I was too. But mostly I was just SUPER, swimming, flying high on a kite that I had JUST spent my last $100 pesos about an hour earlier and there was NO cash in my purse at all. I didn't have any passports in there, no social security cards, no visas (the traveling kind), etc. I did have 8 (eight) different credit/debit cards and one of my copies of my driver's license. . .but I purposely have three copies of the license so that one is also no big deal. I am sure the stinky thieves took one glance in my purse, realized they only got plastic, and tossed it in the nearest bushes. '

I checked around the rest of the inside of the car and other than Guthrie's backpack with his school sweater, nothing else was missing. (I'm a teeny bit ticked about the sweater.) I even found my old wallet in the console, along with our passports and visas :o, untouched!

We got home and I started calling each and every company to cancel the cards and get new issued. Suddenly I remembered that wallet in the car and wondered which credit cards were in there, thinking it might reduce the phone calls I had to make. I ran to the car and brought the wallet in, where I promptly found $3000 pesos in cash (more than $300 USD). JACKPOT! I had no clue I left that there.

I now feel like I got paid $150 an hour to make some phone calls. Take that, you stinkin' thieves.

The End.

8 comments:

Ashley said...

Let me know if guff needs a new sweater that I can send with mom :)

I love you, give the mexicans a big kiss for me.

Serin said...

That totally sucks that your purse (and G's backpack) got stolen, but SCORE on finding that stash of money!!

Kizzy said...

man- you have had a little bad luck lately in Mexico- car accident, no hot showers, your purse stolen!!! you need to move back to arizona, oh wait, i practically live in mexico too! that was rude wasn't it? sorry! glad you at least found some moolah!!

Barnes Blog said...

My blood is boiling. I can NOT stand theives, why is it that people think that they can take something that belongs to someone else. That mentality amazes me. I'm glad you are able to be upbeat about because my blood is still boiling, maybe simmering now. Good luck getting a new sweater, that stinks.

Unknown said...

Not too often do these stories have happy endings. I am glad this one did! Dang theives!

5littlenordstroms said...

What a great story. I'm so glad something good came of it.

Moore Fun said...

You wanted a new purse anyway right? I Hate when that happens you feel so violated. Glad it wasn't worse. :)

Nash said...

Man, what luck!
Did I read this right, are you private TOO!
I finally went off because everyone said it was annoying to sign in.
I am going back.
Glad all turned out to be ok.
Oh, can ya get rid of the word verification. pleeeeeeeese?