October 29, 2008

Drama? What drama?

You may remember (or maybe not, I have no expectations of you) my posting about the AMA withdrawing their support from the oh-so-crucial Fifth Pathway program that helps students from UAG transition to practicing medicine in the states. This was a teeeeeeeeeny little hitch in our plans, as we were ALREADY two and a half years into this medical school journey and we DO ultimately plan to live in the US. I can admit that our first thought was to panic and jump ship (aka transfer as fast as our legs and our passports could carry us), but when that didn't work out we took the "wait and see and hold your breath and think positively while still trying to be realistic and plan for the worst" approach. That's basically our life motto, so this was nothing new to us.

Well, this past week, after a looooooong breath-holding phase, we found out that the ACGME (the people who make the rules regarding eligibility for US medical residency positions) decided that the AMA could take their "recommendation" and put it where the sun don't shine. This was really good news, in that it simplifies our pathway for us. But this is also the final, fork-sticking word on whether or not we will be moving to New York City in June 2009 (with that final word being "yes, pack your bags, NY is essential").

So, this is me getting PUMPED UP for NYC.

My top 10 reasons why living in New York will rock!
1. I hear there is a lot of garbage on the street, so it won't be much different than Mexico.
2. I hear people are really rude, so it won't be much different than Mexico.
3. I hear people scoff at young couples with lots of kids, so it won't be much different than dinner with the in-laws. (Love ya Kizzy)
4. I hear we can pay thousands of dollars a month for a small apartment with no washer and dryer - so we can buy lots of new clothes because we all know that I will be CRAP with a basement communal laundry room.
5. I hear my husband will be working 16-hour days, so we will never fight!
6. Ummm, I'm still thinking.
7. Nope, coming up blank.
8. Help me out here people.
9. I've got nothing.
10. It is ONLY for one year and its an adventure, right? Right?!

:)

7 comments:

paws said...

NY is no my first choice by a long shot, but even I could manage to live there for a year.

Although no one was rude to me in the short I was there visiting, I'm sure you'll have enough adjustments to make. Adventure indeed!

Serin said...

rofl

didn't jenn live there? I bet she could give you a few pros

Nash said...

this won't let me comment

Hanna said...

I guess I should clarify - I think it is probably a really great place to live- I'm just not too sure about living there on our budget (nothing) and with a million little kids. lol.

Ashley said...

Um, don't you have a friend that lives there too?

5littlenordstroms said...

Wow what an exciting adventure. I'm actually a little jealous. I think it sounds like a lot of fun. Too bad it is so far away though.

Jill said...

I am a little jealous too. I wish we could go on a little adventure. Instead we have to stay here and wait for Devin's job to call us back. I know we suck.