September 4, 2008

Catch up:)

I kept waiting for some cute pictures to magically appear on my memory card so I could accompany a blog post with some distraction. . .but apparently you have to USE the camera to get cute pictures on there. I wonder if I can get a refund.

The kids are adjusting so well to school this year. It is amazing how quickly we transitioned from sleeping in until 9:00 am every day and watching more SpongeBob than can possibly be healthy (side note: Its so cute to hear Sully say 'spong bob squay panz'. *sigh*) to waking up at 6:45, doing our morning routine as fast as possible and getting on the road by 7:25 - before the sun has risen. The week just flies away from me now and I'll admit that with only a little over nine months left here in Mexico, it is scary to see time slipping by. I knew this would happen, but just when I actually appreciate what we have going on here, it seems like the end is nearing too soon. When else in my life will I have a maid at my beck and call? A husband home every night for dinner and at church every Sunday (I'm imagining what his schedule will be like for next year's internship or first year rotations - gulp)? Two little kids in a private school learning a foreign language and making memories that will last a lifetime? My little "baby" Sullivan home with me to keep me from taking too many naps or having too clean a house?? Hmmm, sorry if I got a little euphoric there. Just a minute ago I was firmly returning Sullivan to his crib for the upteenth time tonight and wondering when life would get easier. Buckle your seatbelts folks.

That actually reminds me of last night. I called my mom to check in and see what I was missing in her life. I bragged that my biggies were tucked into bed and the short one was playing quietly. Not 30 seconds later, Guthrie comes walking down the stairs (I use the term "walking" loosely here) and thud-thud-thud. . .he somehow misses the last three steps and is rescued by his left jaw and chin coming into contact with the extremely sharp corner of the shelf at the bottom of the stairs. "Uhhhh. . .I'll call you right back." It was immediately purple and bleeding and the poor kid was traumatized. I felt SO SORRY for him on one hand and SUPER annoyed with him on the other. Didn't I ALREADY tuck you into bed once tonight? Ice for the face and water for his mouth, which was apparently what prompted the trip (pun) down the stairs in the first place.

My days have been spent working, hanging with friends, working, cleaning a little bit, enjoying friends who come rescue me and help me clean, eating, napping, working, and I'll admit we still watch a little SpongeBob in all of this.

Our previous maid, who was incidentally the best cleaner I have ever known, up and quit on us when we cut back her schedule a bit. That meant that for the last two weeks I haven't had to pay a maid (and I also haven't had a clean house, but that is another story), we haven't had a date night, and I have actually been cooking our meals each night. I figured that deserved a treat and let Kyle know that Chili's would be served promptly at 6:00. ;) I enjoyed my chips 'n salsa and Buffalo chicken salad and the kids enjoyed a few bites of food and a LOT of playing on the slide/jungle gym. Genius. . .every Chili's should have a play area. Why don't they do that in the states?

Don't worry, we found a new cleaning girl who is happy with the reduced schedule. . .and she's not really a girl - she's 42- but who's keeping track. I am hoping she is just automatically a good cleaner because I'm not picturing myelf as capable of correcting anything or pointing out any flaws in her work. We'll just go with it. She's cheap and I'm pretty much the worst housekeeper this side of the border.

Kyle's rotations are going well. They're doing Endocrine and Nutrition right now. Not too exciting, but probably pretty useful. He starts Internal Medicine in a couple of weeks.

I'm thinking that catches things up for us. . .did I leave Addie out? Um, she's cute, her hair is growing, and she loves to inform us of all the things that 4 and a half year olds can do. Today Guthrie was noticing a billboard advertising for a gym with a picture of an oily, sculpted woman flexing and posing. Adeline said my legs looked like hers. Guthrie disagreed and said that the lady had really small knees and really big thighs and that my legs did NOT looks like hers (compliment???). He laughed his head off and said, "Mom, why does she look like that." I could not even answer before Addie said, "She got her dream body from exercising." Yes - she said dream. I think there must be a SpongeBob episode about that.

10 comments:

Serin said...

You should post more often, I love the recounts of your day!

Hope Gu3's face/jaw is better. :(

:-*

Nash said...

well Hello Hanna, Nice to meet you...again.
i just had that same thought (about picture taking) tonight.

Tanya Leigh said...

Holy SMOKES, that is HILARIOUS! I am still laughing about that "dream body" comment. I am dying! :o) Where on EARTH!??!

Okay - your posts seriously are a happy pleasure to read - I am so glad I checked you out today :)

Miss ya!

Kizzy said...

i love what you write and i love addie and things she says even more!

Ashley said...

So, do you guys watch spongebob?

Jill said...

That is so cool. You are a busy woman. I can't believe that Guff did that. did he need stiches?

Barnes Blog said...

Um, I'm pretty sure I love reading your blog. For a while there I couldn't get on your blog, you were either private or I had the wrong address. Anywho, I just spent the last hour catching up on your blog. You tell awesome stories. Normal life seems like a novel in your words. Things are good here, a little less exciting than in Mexico I'm affraid, but they are good. School is tough, but we are getting through it. I will be happy when it's done, but then I end up feeling like you, that it's all going to be over and I am starting to really love it here. Life is intersting isn't it. I guess that's why we have seasons, we'd be bored if things weren't constanly changing.

Melanie said...

Man I miss you! Your family picture is so stinkin cute! I'm glad things are going well for you. I love reading your blog!

Moore Fun said...

I can't beleive you are almost done in Mexico. Time goes by so fast. Before I know it Shane will be done with school and we will be back in AZ (hopefully).
Hope Guthrie is alright.

Jenn S. said...

So funny and cute - more posts I say!

(please)

and pictures too!