February 5, 2008

Ears

Last night was one of *those* truly miserable, endless experiences. Kyle and I went to bed around 11:30. No sooner had we climbed into bed than we heard Adeline wimpering across the hall. She was so tired, but managed to grasp her right ear in agony; so we got the hint.

Kyle grabbed his diagnostic kit and it didn't take long for us to see her ear drum was ruptured. I was pretty surprised, as I thought that normal ear infection pain would be present prior to a rupture and Adeline hadn't said anything about her ears during the day.

My initial thought was just to give her some Tylenol and to call a pediatrician in the morning and ask about localized pain drops for her ear (if that's even advisable for a rupture, I honestly have no clue. I can't WAIT for Kyle to do his pediatrics rotation :p ) Well, around 2:30 a.m., all of my desire to avoid systemic antibiotics flew out the window. Sully has had 2 ear infections and Adeline 1 in the last few years and they were both able to fight them off without abx.

Addie had come into our bed and for several hours she had been writhing in pain. I actually got up, dressed, and was about to put shoes on so I could go to the pharmacy. I suddenly remembered that I had a bottle of abx (the powder you mix into a liquid) in our medicine box. I mixed that and gave her the first dose. Then I crushed up some adult Tylenol and put it in some juice (I gave her the last dose of children's chewables before we went to bed.) It was 5:00 a.m. when she fell asleep. I think it was a mini-coma (she must have been exhausted) because everytime I opened my eyes to peek at her, she was in the exact same position she started in.

Of course, Sullivan woke up at 7:00, so I'm feeling a little zombi-ish. Hopefully its nothing a hot shower and a toothbrush can't fix.

I really hate that her ears are messed up right now. We're getting on a plane in 2 days. :o

3 comments:

Serin said...

Oh man! What is going on with the ear infections??? I hope the abx do the trick before your plane ride.

Didn't you get a double ear infection in MX and they gave you a Rx for something totally wrong?

Stoddard Studios said...

OUCH! poor girl. I hope it gets a little better before you get on the plane.

How long are you going to be in AZ? We need to get together this time!

Becky said...

Hanna - I guess it's been too long since I've talked to you OR checked your blog for that matter. I am so sad to hear that you are gone, but hope still that you are doing better in AZ.
It's funny that I miss you, even when I haven't even seen you that much.
I wasn't going to add you to my list of bloggers cuz I wasn't sure how much privacy you wanted. But I don't know what's going on with you until almost a week later and since I see that I am on your list I give myself permission to add you. :)
Hope that things go well for you in AZ but even more I hope we see you here again soon! Take care.