April 10, 2007

Hometown fun!

Ahhh, it feels so good to be "home" again. But, it will still feel good to get home, too. (follow that? ;) )

We've lounged a lot, and traveled a little.

I have loved being in my mom's new house. There is so much room for us to spread out and relax and she's always got it decorated and feeling wonderful. Gavin was nice enough to kick himself out of his room for us, so we were able to set up the portacrib and have our little makeshift bedroom upstairs. It was WAY too cold to swim, but Guthrie talked Kyle into it anyway. I know Guthrie wouldn't have let us leave without his dip in the new pool. Between that and the field of grass they've laid in their backyard, the kids were in heaven. Its such a far cry from our little strip of weeds that we try to pass off for a backyard in Mexico. *sigh* someday, right?

We drove down to Tombstone, Arizona last weekend. It was a pretty cool adventure. I never really connected with the story of Wyatt Earp until we were standing on the streets that he stood on and looking at the buildings that he frequented. We watched the movie later to give ourselves a (hollywood) refresher course on the history of it all.

Then on Saturday morning we took the kids in to Karchner Caverns. That was WAY cool and eerie at the same time. They're trying to preserve the caverns, so they take you through a series of containment chambers on your way down the tunnel to see the caves. Its kind of scary to be locked in these small rooms w/ thick, metal doors on either end - but the kids loved it. I brought my new Beco baby carrier and Sullivan fell asleep about 2/3 of the way through it. LOVE him - and LOVE that carrier!

Saturday afternoon we said goodbye to my family and trekked out West to spend our week with Kyle's family. We started off with a rip-roaring Easter party with his whole family! 24 grandkids, 12 children and spouses, and Grandma and Grandpa Hunter! Our family parties sure have grown a lot in the last 6 years. We had to hold it at a park just to make room for everyone.

The kids had plenty of fun finding Easter eggs and drinking WAY too much soda. Sullivan did pretty well, although I did end up having to nurse him 3/4 of the way through the party. I've been dreading that as I know that its pretty oddball in Kyle's family to be nursing a 10-month old. (Well, its oddball in my family too, but at least with them I can speak freely about it.) Just a few minutes nursing was all he needed for his second wind. I left him with Kyle that night while my Sister-in-laws and I went to Target for some last minute Easter supplies. Kyle played with him and even laid him down for bed without a fuss. That's a pretty rare ocurrence, so I considered it my gift from the Easter bunny.

Other than that, we've just relaxed. Kyle's been sneaking in some study time whenever he can - and sneaking in naps whenever he has time to study and just doesn't want to. I know he's not going to be getting much sleep as soon as we get home. He'll only have a week to prepare for his mock-board exam.

Arizona feels so good. But- we must have finally passed the hump because going back to Mexico doesn't sound terrible either. I love our house, our friends, and our life. I could do without the medical school part, but since that's not an option I guess I'll love that too. :p

Back to vacationing for now!

No comments: