April 24, 2007

a great thunk thought!

"The most important work you and I will ever do will be within the wall of our own homes." - Harold B. Lee



I love this quote that I borrowed from Serin (who originally borrowed it from Harold ;) ) This thought came to her as she ponders her future (future-future as she's not pregnant) homebirth, but I thought it was so fitting for my current focus on my family, house, and home.



I know I promised myself I would only read the 2 books - but a third jumped into my rotation and now I'm finding myself unable to put it down. (Why do I feel guilty about this? Do you think the other books really know that they were displaced??)





All I can say is - "WOW!" I mean, who knew??


The basic premise of this book is that the traditional Beahaviorism Theory-based parenting is not only ineffectual, but possibly harmful to our chilren's sense of self (and therefore their behavior.)


So - his idea is to show our children that we love them unconditionally by using reason, respect, and logic to teach them vs. punishment, rewards, and manipulation. I know it sounds pretty "hippy", hoo-haw, dancing in the fields of wildflowers waving my peace-sign - but he provides some pretty convincing evidence and sites psychological study after study - showing you how he came to these conclusions.


So, this is another book I *highly* reccomend, but only if you're completely secure in your parenting style and just get a kick out of ridiculing the out-of-the-box thinkers - OR if you truly wonder if there's a more joyful, respectful way to raise your family. I won't think less of you either way, cross my heart.


I've been putting his ideas to the test in my house. I was telling my friend earlier that I have always had this view of my kids' behavior as being on the brink of total chaos - with my (behavioristic approach) parenting being the only think keeping them on our side of "The Lord of the Flies". Boy, was I wrong. It turns out that my kids *are* good kids, who *do* want to behave (for the most part.) Not only that, but with a complete cessation of yelling, time-outs, and bribes - I haven't noticed a change for the worse in their behavior. Contrarily, we all seem to be getting along better.


The very best reminder I got out of this book is that kids are inherently good, and they are the happiest when they're doing "good" things. AND - they're pretty fun to shower with love.

So there - I put it out there for the world to see. And if you make fun of me, I'll send you to time-out. ;)

4 comments:

Mimi said...

I completely agree. It makes a lot of sense, yet the "wrong" parenting comes so much easier because I have seen it more (my parents etc.)
Keep it coming. I love to read more.

Sometimes I am just sick of time outs. It frustrates us both so much. One time when my friend was over William ran out the door, again (cul-de-sac). My friend immediately told her daughter "Oh, he's getting a time out for that." But instead I flung him on the couch and tickled him hard. He laughed and when he calmed down I told him to stay in the house and he said "I'm sowwy" and it was over and done without tears. *sigh* that was a good day. ;)

Serin said...

You crack me up! I think the other books DO know they have displaced and they are shedding big crocodile tears ;)

I'm working on parenting the "'hippy', hoo-haw, dancing in the fields of wildflowers waving my peace-sign" today

Ashley said...

Dude, if you turn into a hippy, I won't sheeple you anymore

Melanie said...

I've been looking for books on parenting and I'm excited to borrow or buy the books you've suggested. We just started doing the time out thing and I already hate it! Bribes are becoming less and less effective. Thanks for the update on good books.