April 29, 2008

Buried Treasure


I was cleaning out my gmail inbox and found about 20 emails from myself with attachments and no subject. I had long ago forgotten what they were and was super-psyched when I found this AWESOME picture of my Grandma and Grandpa Passey. This picture was taken in June of 2005, right before we moved to Mexico. This was the last time I saw my grandma looking healthy and vibrant. She died 11 months later, just a couple of weeks before Sullivan was born.
Things are putting along here. Guthrie brought home his progress report from school on Friday and I was blown away. His last report had several areas that needed improvement. All of his hard work has paid off and his teacher gave him "E" for excellent in every area. He was so proud of his success and I definitely am too!
I toyed with the idea of staying home from church on Sunday. My mom was on a 3-day trip to Canada and took my dad with her. I wasn't sure how I felt about Ash and I taking 5 chidren to church and trying to keep them quiet. In the end, we decided to go but we separated for sacrament. I think it went okay, although there wasn't room in the chapel so we "toughed it out" in the foyer. (Normally there is room, but they attended a different building this week because another stake was having conference in their building, which is also the stake center for multiple stakes. Welcome to Gilbert/Provo, Arizona. :) )
Church was great. The kids all went to nursery/primary and Ashley and I were able to sit and enjoy Relief Society. Guthrie's primary teacher went all out and sent each kid home with a bag of Betty Crocker chocolate chip cookie mix and a little tag labeling them "Service Cookies." Guthrie informed me that we were going to make the cookies and he was going to deliver them to the family next door with a boy his age. I tried to put him off a little while. (How sad to admit that I was feeling self-conscious about going over to these near-strangers with cookies.) Guthrie won in the end. We made the cookies and he got ready to walk over. I asked him if he would like me to go with him and he said NO!! I think Mallory ended up walking over with him, but only because Addie insisted on joining him and Mallory was afraid she would be a little rambunctious without supervision. (I'm sure she was right.)

7 comments:

Serin said...

Don't you love it when you uncover forgotten treasure!?

Do you have a Jeff Passey in your family?

Kudos for going to church, the 2 hours of peace make it worth it for me. And I'm with you, I wouldn't have wanted to take cookies over to strangers. :p Good thing your sister did the dirty work. ;)

mallory said...

i think it helps that she employed me to babysit once... :) she's not scary hanna, i promise.

Nash said...

I love that picture. I enlarged it and it's like she's looking right at me. I just get to feeling like it's too surreal, that she can't really be gone. I was thinking of grandma this week as her bday and anniversary are near. (she was buried on my anniversary)
We need to celebrate and go out to lunch in her honor.
Wow, I must be PMS-ing.

The Frosts said...

Howdy Hanna, this is Jaymie, Keara's cousin. I got your message on my blog, so I'm checkin' you out. Your kids are really cute. I like the picture of them with your Grandma. She was so sweet. I saw your post about cloth diapers. Some of my friends are doing it, and I've been thinking of switching, but I need some convincing. I definetly see the benefits especially for the environment, but it seems like quite the hassle. Well, I'll probably see ya at the gym.

The Williamson's said...

You cant post pictures like this when I'm pregnant and very emotional! Grandma has extra been in my thoughts these last few days as her bday is coming up and also the anniversary of her passing on. What a beautiful and wonderful Lady!

Jill said...

Guthrie will make a great missionary some day. I picture does make memories. I think I took it.

Jenn S. said...

Awesome picture! Doesn't an experience like that make you want to make sure that you get a picture with each one of your kids with every family member every 6 months from here on out?. Trult, how fragile life is - and how comforting happy memories are (and seeing them in pictures). Priceless.