January 27, 2007

Saturdays and Soap Suds

Husband and I have this unspoken agreement about our division of duties. Pretty much everything on the INSIDE of the house is unequally carried on my shoulders. So, its only fair that everything on the OUTSIDE of the house falls onto his, right? I've noticed that that things that would normally be HIS duty, can become MY duty if they are brought from the outdoors to the indoors. I often find the grillplates from the grill, stacked next to the sink. Of course, since they are suddenly indoors (and we all know men are useless with a sponge) I feel obligated to wash them.

I was pleasantly surprised today to watch the tables turn. We'd spoken earlier this week about how we were going take some time to clean the back laundry/porch/storage area this weekend. I use the term "we" loosely, as this is in fact an OUTDOOR location and any help I should choose to offer up should be praised, flaunted, and properly hung over his head. So, I'm doing my share (wiping off the washer and dryer and pointing out things he may not have noticed.) and husband is doing everything else. I realize that there are several old Tupperware storage bins, some dishes that have collected from the kids' playing, and the baby's bathtub that was taking up too much room in our shower and one day was unceremoniously kicked to the back. I'm amazed to see him find wash cloths, soap, and the hose to clean all of these things out.

So, suddenly it occurs to me - the way to get a man to help indoors, is to carry itoutdoors. Tonight will be my experiment. Think the dishes will have to sit there as long as the bathtub???


We also woke up with the sun today and went to husband's softball game. They started off the season with a win, and the whole team seemed proud and celebratory. They may or may not mention to their friends that the other team forfeited - but that's a moot point, right? A win is a win is a win is a . . .

At least #1 and #2 got to make themselves dirt diapers, right? If you were to go to the dugout right now, you might see mounds of dirt with the perfect imprint of their littebutts. Hurry, run. You don't want to miss it.

No comments: